New houses and old furniture just don't always mix. Bill was handed down
this table from a neighbor in Lombard several years ago. It serves its function,
nothing to fancy about it, but the color of the wood wasn't quite jiving with
the current aesthetic.
While I'd love to go out and purchase a new table and chairs, it's
not practical or necessary at this time. So, time to get creative! Please note
that I have somewhat of an aversion to DIY. The majority of the projects
on Pinterest fill me with a tiny bit of dread. Perhaps my Type A personality
and perfectionist tendencies are to blame, but let's not explore that now, ok?
Just know I'm not a girl who gets giddy about a nail gun and some craft glue.
Anywhoo... some co-workers of mine had mentioned using chalk paint to
update their old furniture. Said it wasn't too hard, in fact, it was quite easy.
After a bit of internet Pinterest research, it seemed Annie Sloan Chalk Paint
was the way to go (you can make it yourself with regular paint and plaster of
Paris, but see previous paragraph ;)). Her website has some brief tutorials and
links to where the paint can be purchased. There is a shop about 20 minutes from
me that sells it, so I set out one Saturday for a liter of paint. It's small and sort
of expensive but a little goes a long way with this stuff. I did 2 coats on the table
and four chairs and still had some leftover.
let me borrow hers. Again, a little goes a long way! You can see the paint takes
on a darker hue and the grain of the wood shows through a bit with the application
of the wax. Annie recommends using her special 'wax brush' but it's a pretty penny ($30+)
so an old t-shirt or rag works just fine.
Ta-da! New table! I think it probably took about 3-4 hrs total to finish. The paint is water based and
dries very quickly so I didn't have to wait at all between coats. By the time I finished with the first one, it was ready for another. Some blogs I read recommended waiting to wax until the next day
so you can decide if you want to distress or make changes to the finish. I was pretty happy with the look so I just went right on and applied the wax.
of the design of the back. I found a linen colored fabric with some silver
thread for the seats. Bill helped me re-upholster them - testing the limit
of my DIY ability. I love the way they turned out!







No comments:
Post a Comment